Instructions for use
How to use IMPeek rods
IMPeek rods are designed for intramedullary use, but due to their unique properties, it is feasible they could be used in other functions. For simplicity, we will described how to use IMPeek rods in the most common clinical situation of plate-rod constructs.
- Autoclave the IMPeek rods as per your hospital protocols
- Best used in conjuction with a plate, to create a plate-rod construct
- Use a metallic pin to create a pilot hole for the IMPeek rods. Choose the LARGEST possible rod which can be inserted into the medullary canal.
5/64" 2.0mm 1/8" 3.0mm 5/32" 4.0mm 3/16" or 13/64" 5.0mm 15/64" or 1/4" 6.0mm
- Use the metallic pin to measure the required length of the IMPeek rod
- Insert the IMPeek rod with either a hand chuck or drill
- Place plate and screws
- Use new or sharp drill bit. The IMPeek rods are strong
- Veterinary Orthopedic Implants and other manufacturers can sell you a Diamond Like Coated bit which are superior to regular steel bits and are our recommended bit for use with IMPeek.
- Use saline when drilling to prevent thermal damage
- No need to avoid the IMPeek rod - drill in whatever direction you wish. If you happen to drill through the IMPeek rod, then you can screw into it and create an interlocking construct. If you miss it, then you will hopefully have a bicortical purchase
- +/- tap the hole depending on your screw type
- Cut the IMPeek rod using pin cutters or a sagittal saw with saline flush
- Lavage and suction surgical site to remove IMPeek debris
RECOMMENDED SCREW SIZES FOR IMPeek rods
|0.8-1.1 threaded K-wire or 1.0-1.5 mm screws||
|1.5 mm screws||3.0 mm|
|1.5-2.0 mm screws||4.0 mm|
|2.0-2.4 mm screws||5.0 mm|
|2.7-3.5 mm screws||6.0 mm|